Saturday, September 27, 2008

There is a plan


My meandering, instinctive approach to training post-worlds is about to draw to a close. I have met with my coach John Lee to go over a plan for the next year. The time is right seeing as I have now recovered from 24 hours of grinding up and down the Canadian Rockies.

So what does this plan entail? Lots of riding is a given. But there are also some rest periods (shock, horror). Again the major focus is on the world 24 hour solo championships in who knows where. The other major event is not so much of a race against other riders but a race against the clock and vastly different to my usual style of racing.

I have been thinking about trying for the length of New Zealand record for a while, and now there is a window in my training program for it. Basically I will be hopping on my road bike instead of my mountain bike and riding on roads from the northern tip to the southern tip.

The record currently stands at four days 16 hours and 40 minutes. So all going well I will pull into Bluff well ahead of that time. I don’t want to take away from the current record holder so much as to improve the record. I would hesitate to put a figure out there of how much I would like to knock off the record time.

Also this summer should see me compete in my first XC races in ages. For sure it’s going to be very different to what I am used to. The point is to help with my speed and keep myself entertained. No doubt I have not a chance of putting the leader in danger, but I’ll have fun.

Presently I have taken off to my home town of New Plymouth. And I feel at home with the rain pouring down. Already I have hit some of my old favourite tracks and caught up with friends and family who I have not seen for a while, and some I have not see since I returned from Canada. I will be back in Rotorua to take on the Whaka 100.

No comments: